Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

Spooky Glow in the Dark Eyes




Spooky Glow in the Dark Eyes

This year, I’m putting a spooky spin on my Halloween décor. With a three-year old who loves all things spooky, I needed to make sure everything was festive but not scary. Here’s one of the projects I created to bring the season to life.

Materials:
  1. Small wood slats.  I bought a pack of craft wood slats at Michael’s for about 2.99.  I am sure you can use any scraps you fin around the house.
  2. Black paint
  3. Glow in the dark paint
  4. Contact Paper
  5. Carbon or Transfer paper if you are not a great free hand artist like me.
  6. Ball point pen
  7. Xacto knife
  8. Drill (optional)
  9. Zip ties (optional)
Tutorial:

Spread out the wood slats on a protected area and paint them black. (I did both sides…because I am super anal.)
 

I went onto Google images and printed out some spooky and funny shaped eyes.



I laid down the contact paper with the carbon paper and the paper with the eyes on top.  I traced all the eyes onto the contact paper with the ball point pen. 

                                               









 


I cut out the eyes with my knife and carefully paced them on the wood slats to use as stencils. 

*If your contact paper is too sticky and will remove the paint from your circle stick it to a piece of wax paper and remove it a few times, it’ll become a little less sticky and easier to work with.*

 


 Stencil in the eyes first with green paint, then  with glow in the dark paint.  Make sure you do two or more coats before you remove the stencils. 





















Now this next part is optional…but I drilled a small hole in the top of each wood slat and when I took them outside I slide a zip tie through and zip tied them into the bushes.  I just didn’t want them all flying out when the wind blew.



 
Overall, I created 12 sets of eyes and placed them all in the bushes in the front of my house.  Now when it gets dark all of these eyes are glowing out of the shrubs; really kinda cool!!!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment