Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

 
 


 
 
 
Bleach & Water in a Bissell



I owe this post to my Mom. Thanks, Mom!!! With two little ones and a very messy Basset Hound, you can imagine that my off-white berber carpets struggle to keep their pristine color. My lightweight Bissell carpet cleaner definitely helps with the battle, especially when I pre-treat any stains. But Mom figured out a way to use the Bissell to really get stains and stink out of the carpets.

  1. Pre-treat the stain. I apply my homemade stain lifter (click here for that post). Next, I scrub the stain and blot it with a damp white towel.
  2. Then, I use my Bissell with the regular Bissell carpet shampoo for pet stains.
  3. After, I go over everything again once with clear water in the carpet cleaner.
  4. Next, I fill the carpet cleaners tank with ½ of Clorox bleach and fill it the rest of the way with hot water. I go over all the carpets again.
  5. I finally rinse the tank and fill it with plain water one more time. I go over the carpets one last time.

If this isn’t enough to get the stains up, I repeat the entire process one more time. There are some stains that seem to“resurface”. For those bad boys, I just keep cleaning it every few days ‘til it’s gone for good.


*Disclaimer*
I’ve only tried this on off white rugs. I am going to try it on a dark color rug I have that is pretty much ruined already. Stay tuned for those results.

And remember : ALWAYS test an inconspicuous area with whatever you are using to clean your carpets to avoid any carpet disaster!

No comments:

Post a Comment