Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Abby Cadabby Costume Part 1: The Tutu




After months and months of wanting to be a dinosaur for Halloween, my three-year old changed her mind and decided to be Sesame Street’s favorite fairy, Abby Cadabby.  Randomly, Abby’s Flying Fairy School has become her favorite television show. Knowing how educational Sesame Street is, I can’t say no. When she made the costume request I figured I could really work with this…my little one can be Elmo and we’ll have a Sesame Halloween. Who doesn’t love a theme?

The first part of the costume I made was the tutu.  It was really easy, and only took a small amount of time.

Materials

A few colors of glimmering rolls of tulle (I got mine off Amazon for about 3.99 each)

A crochet Headband (Mine was a pack from a wonderful establishment known as The Dollar Store)

Scissors







Instructions

First, I took the headband and slipped it around Finn’s waist.  I measured the tulle from her waist where the headband was to the middle of her calf, where I wanted the tutu to lay.  Next, I doubled the length of the tulle that I measured so I could eventually fold it in half lengthwise and loop it thought the headband. Measurements done, it was time to start cutting.



 


Once I had all the strips cut, I laid them out in the order of the pattern of colors I wanted to make the tutu.  





Then I started attaching them.  For a no sew option, just fold individual strips in half lengthwise. Take the folded and push it through a piece of the bottom of the crochet headband. Loop the bottom through and pulled it tight. Do this (in the color pattern you like) around the entire bottom of the headband.






















Once I finished the bottom, I went up to the center of the headband and made another row of tulle around the headband. I spaced the strips a little further apart then the bottom row to make the tutu nice and full.






Ta-da!!!  Done!!!  I now have a very happy little fairy!!!









1 comment: