Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Blanket Stitch



     I apologize for my lack of posts lately.  I live in New Jersey and have been buried under 3 feet of snow.  Since I am a teacher we have had a ton of snow days.  I mistakenly thought that they would give me a ton of spare time to work on my blog.  Silly silly me...my 1 year old and 3 year old were also home with me, so I spent the majority of my snow break loading and unloading the dishwasher, picking up toys, doing laundry and vacuuming.  It is mind boggling how much work those two kids can make for Mommy in a matter of minutes.
Anyway,  I want to prove I was trying really hard to work on my posts.  Therefore,  I'm just going to throw the last few that I have been working on up even though we are a little past Valentines Day.
The first thing I want to show you how to do is a blanket stitch by hand.  You'll need to know how to do it for my next post on stuffed hearts.

1.   I cut 2 of the same sized hearts of of some felt.  I wanted to sew them together and stuff them as little Valentine's Day decorations.  To sew them I used the blanket stitch.  I started out my putting the two wrong sides of the heart together.  Then I took my needle and thread, knotted the end and started my first stitch through the wrong side of the back piece of the heart.
  2.  Next, stitch through the front to the back.  Leave yourself a loop, don't pull the thread tight just yet.



  3.  Thread the needle through the loop you just made and pull tight.
             
   4.  Repeat: stitch through the front pulling through the back, but leaving a loop.  Thread the needle throught the hoop and pull tight.  Your stitches should beginning to look like the ones below.








No comments:

Post a Comment